Monday, March 21, 2011

The retreat...... this is a long one

This will be long (I think) so sit back with your favourite drink and enjoy.

In the days leading up to March 6th, I was busy packing for what I would call my trip of a life time.  The time had finally arrived for me to board a plane to go to the Keys for Art Retreat in Key Largo, Florida.  I had only been on Skype with Elena and talked alot through emails.  I was about to get on two planes and meet her for real and everyone else I have been in the journal groups with for the past three or four years. 
The Qantas 747-400LR to LAX
I had a nice flight over, didn't sleep much.  Was near the tail end of the plane where there were only two seats in the row.  I was joking around in the check in line with some other passengers (check in took over an hour!) and ended up sitting next to one of the people I was joking around with.   Arrived in to LAX around 7am.   An interesting city for sure and next time I would love to explore more.   It was faster to clear Customs at LAX than what is was to check in at Brisbane Airport.  

I had an 8 hour layover at LAX and next time I have a layover this big, I might try and explore the city a little bit or even pay the money to go into the Club lounge and relax a little.   Terminal 4 at LA was boring, not a lot there and no wi-fi or internet kiosks.  Then there was the 5 hour flight to Miami.   I ended up sitting next to a guy from Australia and what was even stranger was that he lives in the same suburb as me.  What a strange co-incidence. 

By the time I had arrived in Miami I had been travelling for almost 30 hours and I was exhausted.  

I recognised Elena instantly, and with Elena was Lillian from somewhere way north in Canada.   She almost lives on top of the world.  How cool is that.

Anyway after 5 days of fun, laughter, some art, more fun and laughter it was a great trip.   What a way to spend your 40th birthday.


Pancho - the very vocal Maccaw

Tuesday night party time.
I have more pics to upload but will do it in the next post. 

This was the best trip ever and loved every minute of it.  These are some of the most wonderful people I am pleased to call friends.

Till Next Time.
XOX

2 comments:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Glad you had a great time. The girls look like they were a lot of fun! Maybe you should start saving to make another trip in a couple of years?

Elena said...

It was just as wonderful for us to meet YOU my friend! I loved you before but after meeting you I am 4ever grateful to call you my friend. I can't tell you how flattered and honored I felt that you would come all the way from Australia to spend a few days in my home!!! Let's cross our fingers you can make it next year too! (Don't tell Justin I said that!)